Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with 77 rear end upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Suspension / Handling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blown77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Need help with 77 rear end upgrade Reply with quote

Hi,

Im doing some work on my boss's 77 Celica this winter and one thing we want to do is beef up the rear end. We either A) want to add a true-trac style limited slip diff to the stock 6.7" rear, or B) swap it out for a 7.5.

Ideally we want to swap it out for the 7.5 and go with the LSD for pure strength. The stock setup is 53-3/4" wheel flange to wheel flange so we want to find something that is that width that will also bolt into the car (or at least go in with minor mods/fabrication)

The reason for the rear end upgrade is we're dropping in a blown 22R from LC Engineering and we don't want to obliterate the rear end smile.gif 300hp turn key smile.gif smile.gif

Ive read that some supra rear's will go in, but I haven't been able to find out which years and what the widths are. I know that some/or all of those are independent, which is ok. This will be a road/track so the IRS wouldn't hurt. But we'll take what we can get. Disc brakes in back are also very high on the priority list.

Can anyone offer some ideas on what might fit the car?
ShoNuFf
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i jus kinda answered your question in another post here on the forum Laughing

but in short go for the solid supra axl, bolt in goodness.

under tree's and in barns across the globe toyota's await resurrection

www.youtube.com/nuffbilt

Blown77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuFf wrote:
well i jus kinda answered your question in another post here on the forum Laughing

but in short go for the solid supra axl, bolt in goodness.

Funny you mention that. We just ordered a 79 supra disc brake rear from the boneyard this morning Smile

Planning to either run a Detroit True Track (if they ever call me back to confirm fitment) or a MK2 Supra LSD

Link to the other thread?
ShoNuFf
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.celicas.org/viewtopic.php?t=2746

a lil broader question but still the same answer. Cool

i didnt mention thats its a few inches longer and a 1st gen is the skinniest celi. so your tires might stick out a bit depending on the rim offset.

are you running the camden supercharger with a custom plenum?

under tree's and in barns across the globe toyota's await resurrection

www.youtube.com/nuffbilt

Blown77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuFf wrote:
http://forums.celicas.org/viewtopic.php?t=2746

a lil broader question but still the same answer. Cool

i didnt mention thats its a few inches longer and a 1st gen is the skinniest celi. so your tires might stick out a bit depending on the rim offset.

are you running the camden supercharger with a custom plenum?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but. . .

Crate motor from LC Engineering. 200ft lbs on the engine dyno Smile

We bought a rear end from a 79 Supra as we were told it was a bolt in deal. It has discs, and is a 7.5 so that's a nice strength upgrade.

This is not a bolt in deal. The design is similar, but not close enough to even think about just bolting it in and going. The spring pads lined up, and that was it.

I cut off all the control arm brackets and panhard bar mount and had to relocate them all to line up. Im working off the center line of the axle, and taking all my numbers from the CL of the original axle.

With everything tacked in place, we did a test fit last night and it pretty much went right in.

Right now Im trying to confirm the LSD carrier from an 82-85 Supra will fit this rear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Suspension / Handling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: