Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small V-8 in '77 GT Liftback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Small V-8 in '77 GT Liftback? Reply with quote

Happy New Year Everybody,

We used to have a very nice '77 GT Liftback that we owned from '79 - '96. We had to sell it b/c we were moving and my company would only move X number of cars...we had more. Anyway, my dad and I are wanting to find another '77 and put a small v-8 in it (a la Cobra or Tiger). Does anybody know if this has been done? How tough a job is it (I'm newly married and we've got an 11 and 9 year old...time is precious). What were the difficulties? Is there any chance of ever getting it back on the road (legally)? I live in VA and I might be able to register it as an antique and then forgo inspections and drive it on limited basis, but would want full use and inspection.

Thanks in advance.

Chad
'92 Nighthawk 750
'56 PA-22-150 (Piper Tri-Pacer)

Former '77 Celica GT Liftback owner
Celicatoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, I have installed a 350 small block into a 1965 vintage VW Beetle that was complete enough to just paint and start driving (for a buddy of mine). We used a 1980s toyota truck chassis and shortened it to fit the wheelbase of the Beetle. He drove the car a few times, but ultimately the car got parked in the backyard and still sits there to this day. The project was a lot of trouble with many unforseen costs and the car was nearly uncontrollable to drive. The wieght of a V8 will probably require upgraded front springs or other items in the Celica as well. Yes, I'm going to have to naysay this one, but good luck if you do it.
ShoNuFf
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been done.

ya weight will be a issue, but supra springs help a lot.

the main thing you have to worry about is chassis flex. these arnt terribly stiff cars to begin with and a V8 can easily twist it good.

under tree's and in barns across the globe toyota's await resurrection

www.youtube.com/nuffbilt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: