Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1984 Toyota Celica GT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maris bibelnieks
Jr. Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: 1984 Toyota Celica GT Reply with quote

Just received 1984 Toyota Celica Gt, with apparent 47,000. miles. Body is perfect. Sat in garage for 7 years without use. Put in quite a lot of mainenace work,but car stilll sluggish. Seems to hesitate on acceleration and needs excess pedal depression to have it go.Any suggestions. Thank you.
uly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first check for vacuum leaks. You'll be surprised. I had similar problems with my 1980 celica and sure enough after replacing most of the tubes, it now runs much better. Good luck.
sfiggins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your '84 GT is fuel injected. Vacume leaks would likely not cause the same issues as on a carb car, like the '80. Still, it is always a good idea to make sure that all your vacume lines are in good shape.

On a FI car, the main causes of poor performance is usually wrapped up in the fuel system, although there are other causes as well. Certainly. if the car has sat for any amount of time, the injectors are likely to be in degraded shape. Spray patterns are very important. And the ruel regulators are never doing their job and keeping the pressure up. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Other things to make sure of would include, rotor, cap, plug and coil wires and spark plugs. These things can make a considerable difference. Make sure that the air cleaner is clean, and the intake to the mainfold is clear. The exhaust should also be checked to make sure there isn't any issues there.

What tranny is in there? If it is the automatic, make sure that it has been serviced recently. These can cause poor performance.

-Sean
maris bibelnieks
Jr. Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: no pep Reply with quote

Thanks Sean. My guy wants to do fuel line, etc. flush for $125 and says that repalcing fuel injectors would be too expensive.What do you think.Actualy doesn't think that is the problem, suggesting that the car is 21 years old,and not to expect more. I disagree.
sfiggins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it is 21 years old does not mean that it should not preform as well as it did when new. I didn't mean to suggest that you should replace the injectors. That is likely not needed. A good cleaning should be enough.

The 22RE is basically a truck engine. It's not a high RPM screamer. You can't expect that. It's not a quiet engine either. You learn to live with it, and even love it after a while.

You should still be able to get it to perform decently, for a car with stock 105 HP. Just make sure the systems are performing well, and you should be fine.

-Sean
OldMage
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injectors can be serviced MUCH cheaper than replacing them. Check w/ your local NAPA shop & see if they do in-house injector cleaning. They charged me ~$20/ea and they came back like-new! Well worth it when replacement injectors can cost that $80 EACH!

The flush your "guy" was talking about may be an on-car injector cleaning. Those tend to work very well also and give a noticeable improvement.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v368/OldMage/

SteveO
Jr. Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Celica Gt mods Reply with quote

I used to notice my celica was quite sluggish taking off but once i got the rpms up it really went, i cleaned out the fuel injectors totally cleaned all gunk out of throttle body , that made a huge diff, then i put in a dynopak Dual friction clutch with pressure plate, HUUGE DIFF damn! grabs and goes u can launch like a mother lol, the 22re has the torque power but its factory clutch doesnt put it to te wheels very well, do up the clutch and uve got a rice rocket and a half, i spanked many supras of the same year 83 ez and theyve gfot the 2.8 inline six!
ShoNuFf
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before ya go spendin all kinds of money on cleanin your injectors try puttin a good (not bought @ shucks) fuel sys cleaner in your tank when almost empty then fill it with mid range gas and drive it a whole tank that should git rid of a good portion of old gas glue. i also assume that you have done a tune up sence takin it out of the garage includin the fuel filter. the reason its so sluggish is that after about 6mo of sittin gas starts ta seperate with the impurites settleing ta the bottom of tha tank and turnin into a really dark red substance and if air is in the mix over time you will get crystalization of the top layer of gas this could affect everything from your tank to the injectors but a decent fuel cleaner will help tremdously i recommend redline and dump the whole bottle in

under tree's and in barns across the globe toyota's await resurrection

www.youtube.com/nuffbilt

maris bibelnieks
Jr. Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: sluggishness Reply with quote

Hi;
Thanks for all of the input. Had the $125 1 hour cleaning and the car runs perfectly.
Thanks for all the input.
1984 Celica GT, with 48,000 miles.
7 years not driven.
Any suggestions as to determinng if turn back of odomoter.
When prior owner got it from dealer in 1990 it had 19,000.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: