Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can power mirrors be fixed on 84? (loose glass)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Restoration and Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: can power mirrors be fixed on 84? (loose glass) Reply with quote

Im new here but I have a 1984 Celica GT coupe and the mirror glass is just loose and flops around. I can hear the motor working but the glass is loose. If anyone knows how to fix this or has other options for me please reply.

Thanks,
JB

johnfbakerjr@yahoo.com
Rix86
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try tighteneing the screws from underneath the mirror.... it MIGHT help.
sfiggins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to replace the mirror glass. Unfortunately, I do not believe you can get the replacement parts from Toyota any more. The mirrors iff the '82 GT is a direct swap, but do not have the same problems.

-Sean
JB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping maybe just the glass had come unglued and I could maybe fix them myself, I can hear the motors running but the glass just flops.

I will search for some from an 82

thanks
Hankie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: you can fix those old mirrors Reply with quote

I just took some High Temp gasket maker, and glued the graduated posts back onto the backing of the mirror, waited for it to dry, and voila my mirrors all work and I have no problems, all I had to do was remove the mirror from the door, and squeeze the RTV into the back of the mirror, then push the mirror into the adjusters, but make sure that the two studs are all the way extended or you will just have a bunch of red goo in the back of your mirror Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I removed the pass side mirror and removed the glass lens. It appears the posts that push from the motors to adjust them dont work or somethings just loose and broke.

I wish I could find a new set or good used ones
vamnews
Jr. Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Mirror repair Reply with quote

These power mirrors have plastic "screws" which turn the mirror either up/down and side to side. I've tried several times to repair these, but all has been fruitless. The screws are a pain to replace and getting them to stick to the back of the mirror is a waste of time.
Recommend you look on Ebay or your local junkyard for a set, still no guarantee though, theirs' could be broken also!

Vince
coop301

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror repair Reply with quote

vamnews wrote:
These power mirrors have plastic "screws" which turn the mirror either up/down and side to side. I've tried several times to repair these, but all has been fruitless. The screws are a pain to replace and getting them to stick to the back of the mirror is a waste of time.
Recommend you look on Ebay or your local junkyard for a set, still no guarantee though, theirs' could be broken also!

Vince

toyheadauto.com had a listing for mirrors. $200+ each. I repaired mine with gorilla super glue to reattach the posts to the back of the mirror and went around it to the back of the mirror glass with tire patch glue. those are the only things I have found that will stick to both surfaces.
coop301

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mirror repair Reply with quote

coop301 wrote:
vamnews wrote:

Vince

toyheadauto.com had a listing for mirrors. $200+ each. I repaired mine with gorilla super glue to reattach the posts to the back of the mirror and went around it to the back of the mirror glass with tire patch glue. those are the only things I have found that will stick to both surfaces.

UPDATE: Pop the glass and it's holder from the mirror frame. IF you can get the glass out of the plastic holder. I was sucessful. Get two Stainless steel bolts that will screw into the gear of the motor about 1" long. Grind down the head square to fit where the old gummy screws were. Place them without any glues thru the holes in the plastic glass holder. Place the bolt in position over the motors and use the motors to pull the mirror in as far as you can then pop the ball joint back into place. They will never fail again.
Vaiana02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: can power mirrors be fixed on 84? (loose glass) Reply with quote

JB wrote:
Im new here but I have a 1984 Celica GT coupe and the mirror glass is just loose and url=http://www.rachat-de-credit-simulation.com/comparatif] meilleur taux [/url] flops around. I can hear the motor working but the glass is loose. If anyone knows how to fix this or has other options for me please reply.

Thanks,
JB

johnfbakerjr@yahoo.com

Yes, yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Restoration and Repair All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: