Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine RPM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> T Chassis Performance / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suprarossa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Engine RPM? Reply with quote

OK, so I'm a noob to this forum, but have been on the Supra and 4Runner forums for years, so I know how to search a subject before I post.

My question involves the difference I've noted between my old DD ('92 Celica GT automatic - retired from the commute at 290K miles), and my new ride, a 1994 Celica GT 5-speed. Same engine, different transmission, and WAY different acting engine. My '92 would cruise at 75MPH+ at around 3000 RPM in overdrive. My '94 is incredibly buzzy above 70MPH, and I have noticed that it is pushing 3800RPM in fifth when running between 75 and 80MPH (normal commute speed in this area)! Even my '86 22RE 4Runner with 5.29 gears doesn't push that kind of RPM at high speed!

So what gives here? Did Toyota put lower final drive gears in the 5-speed Celicas to give it more power? I just bought the '94 from the original owner, and can be sure there was no gear changing going on.

It isn't a big deal, just unusual to hear that kind of RPM coming from the engine going down the road. (I know, I know - turn up the radio!). The MPG is in the 28 range, about the same as my '92 would get.

So if you gurus of Celica info tell me all is normal, I'll go back to lurking. Thanks!
'92 & '89 Mk III Turbo/Targa/5-speed
1985 Mk II P-Type
1994 Celica GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
benduensing@ymail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: RPM in 5th gear Reply with quote

I just bought a 91 celica gt and I have noticed the same thing. I run at 3000 at 65 mph and around 2500 at 55 mph. which is way different from my 86 gt-s which ran at 2000 at 55mph and most cars have a way lower rpm at these speeds. Anyone else know anything about this?
jamster

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 95 celica automatic sits just below 3000rpm at 70mph. barely goes up from there when between 80 and 90mph.

when the overdrive is off, the rpm is much higher.

the only strange rpm i find is in first gear. It feels like it takes forever to change up and always hits at least 3000rpm before changing up. might just be old...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> T Chassis Performance / Tuning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: