Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 what engines fit? 5 spd manual, car came with 1.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> T Chassis Performance / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
94celicast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: 94 what engines fit? 5 spd manual, car came with 1.8 Reply with quote

I'm wanting to replace a damaged 1.8L engine in my 94 st with manual 5 speed. The tranny is still good as is ecm (computer). I've kept the car perfect, but son allowed engine oil light to come on, days later piston knock. What engines can go right into this celica? using existing engine mounts, tranny and what about the ecm? Any info appreciated. Very Happy
KyleKonvicka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say piston knock, do you mean when the car gets to about 2-3k rpm there's a strong rattlingcoming from te engine? cause that happened to mine (couldn't afford oil) and now i got the oil changed and it just won't go away any solutions?
94celicast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by multiple mechanics that my problem which occurs at all rpms is a connecting rod knock. I hadn't received an answer to my initial question and thus purchased an identical salvage yard 1.8 Liter engine in order to avoid installation problems. I'm close to having the damaged engine pulled. I think the most difficult part to pulling the engine has been all the electrical connectors and not the hood, transaxle and radiator pulling. CM
Grot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just happened to mine as well. youve more than likely thrown a rod. mine lasted about a week then locked up completely, swapping the engine now.

To answer your question, i believe any A series block would fit without any major problems. your car has the 7A-FE in it. so any engine with the xA-xx engine code SHOULD fit. but dont go on my word alone, im just getting into tuning my own car.
94celicast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your engine. My swap went pretty well and the salvage engine I purchased has been running well for a couple k miles thus far. My initial engine problem was a bearing at the connecting rod to the crankshaft. Could you inform me what liter engines are the "A" engines?
Chuck
Grot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they range from 1.3 to 1.8 Liters.

here is the URL to the wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4A-FE

I would do my research before you pick a certian motor.
But you probably already know that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> T Chassis Performance / Tuning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: