Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index
Forums.Celicas.org
Toyota Celica Owners Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980 toyota celica won't idle!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: 1980 toyota celica won't idle! Reply with quote

Please help. I just tried to get it smogged and it failed because the idle
timing was set high. Everything else passed! The guy doing the smog check mentioned when the idle speed was set to normal it would die out and that the previous owners must have set it high so it wouldn't happen. What could be causing this? I've checked for vacuum leaks and all looks good. Also, the carb has been rebuilt. It looks new! Previous owner also added an electric fuel pump for some reason and when turning the engine off sometimes it backfires and appears to sputter out at time as if gas was still in it. The happens only when the engine is warmed up and not when cold. The voltage meter in the dash works intermettingly. I just replaced the alternator because the battery wouln't hold a charge. That fixed that problem but the others still remain. I really hope this is enough information so someone can help me. I hate to see this car just sit in my garage. It looks good and is still in pretty good condition otherwise. The air conditioner even works but at stop signs I need to turn it off because it seems to draw too much power and will sometimes cause the car to die out. Any help would be appreciated!
uly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a broken vacuum line and replaced it. It's working great now and pass smog!
sfiggins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacume lines will get carbed cars every time...

Glad you found the problem.

-Sean
adelgigs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer that same thing happened 2 my 82 XT and all it was had to do with 1 little tube that was in the wrong place.

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums.Celicas.org Forum Index -> A Chassis Performance / Tuning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: